Love Cake

Welcome to Love Cake.

A blog about my observations on life and everything I love with a food analogy twist: Family, Romance, Soul Mates Stories, Parenting, Spirituality, Friendship, Relationships, Sex, Fine Arts, Movies, Girlie Stuff, Music, and nonetheless, Food and Etiquette.(Oh! And even cute animals!)

I hope you will enjoy reading me. And please friends, don't be shy to leave comments. I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

Love,

Davine



Monday, May 23, 2011

Deep Fried Crickets and Pierogi

My childhood would not have been the same without my dear friend Christine. We spent most our innocent years in the outdoors, catching bugs, tadpoles and building tree houses in the field behind her house. Her cocker spaniel Lady would pull us in the winter, while we had our skis on (we were very tiny still, do not worry). It was a lot of fun!

It all started with a marble game in the driveway. Christine and I exchanged marbles, and then later on, toys and stickers, and we have been very close friends since. Twenty-five years of great friendship already, and what's amazing is that our kids are the same age and hopefully will become great friends as well.

Christine was such a crafty kid and used to sew clothes for her dolls, make bracelets and plenty of wonderful salty dough sculptures. I learned a lot from her that's for sure. I loved tasting new Polish dishes at her house and I had my first Pierogi there. I also remember I had my first Brussel Sprout there as well and hated it, but at least I ate most of them. I just wished no one would notice I didn't like them when I left only one in my plate.

Christine has always been pretty adventurous with food. One day, my grandmother came back from a trip to Cambodia and brought back some deep fried crickets, a delicacy as scary to my entire family as it was to Christine. I guess my grandmother felt like shocking us with this exotic souvenir from her trip. Both Christine and I counted till three and popped a hopping critter in our mouths. A memory that is priceless in this long journey of wonderful friendship. I can't wait to have her and her daughter over this summer and watch our toddlers interact with each other. I love you Krysia! xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. Christine JachnerMay 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM

    Merci Dav! I too keep wonderful memories of our childhood, together, especially playing w you at your house, there was a freedom, a carelesness when I was w you, so much creativity and spontaneity from your part, already begining to bud...Moi aussi j'ai très hâte de vous visiter, de passer du bon temps avec toi, et rire de nos petits monstres...

    ReplyDelete

Happy Again. --This song I wrote with Komar after I lost a friend


Vocals: Davine
Guitar: Komar


The extension of our love story